This year has been brilliant! I have seen 71 shows from regional venues to Londons vibrant West End to my first Broadway shows. They’re not in order at all:
- Follies- This show is rarely done because of its huge cast and orchestra requirements. But it is a stunning show, I saw it 3 times at the National Theatre and I was that obsessed I booked myself onto a magical backstage tour. The production looked incredible and the music by Stephen Sondheim is lush.
- Jesus Christ Superstar- This was at the Barbican from transferring over from the Regents Park Open Air Theatre. It was like the staging of the rock album, very abstract. I saw it twice within a week it was that good, and I would see it again but it closed after a limited season.
- Dear Evan Hansen- I recently saw this, Dear Evan Hansen has finally transferred from Broadway and loads of people were obsessed with the cast recording but I wasn’t a huge fan at first because it gave me nightmares of The Greatest Showman which I wasn’t a fan of. I listened to it this year as it was transferring and I loved it! Then booking a last minute ticket I saw it and you can read my review here: https://unofficialtheatre.blog/2019/12/26/my-thoughts-on-dear-evan-hanse/
- The Book Of Mormon- This is my most repeat visited show joint with Wicked. I saw Book Of Mormon 4 times on tour when it was in Manchester because of ATG’s Dynamic Pricing. They would reduce single seats to £13 which is an absolute bargain. It is such a well directed and choreographed show. The songs are great and it is so entertaining. You cannot go wrong with The Book Of The Mormon.
- Wicked- I’ve become obsessed again, I saw it a few years ago and loved it. But its easy to forget a long running show. This year I saw it in August and loved every minute and fully appreciated how clever and political it is. As well as the epic songs and stunning costumes. I’ve now seen it 4 times and 3 between August and December.
- West Side Story- I had never seen this live until I saw the brilliant Royal Exchange Production. I loved how abstract the design was and it works so well in the round as well! It is quite an intense show so to be so close to the action really heightens everything. The choreography was contemporary,bold and new.
- Moulin Rouge- This show is always going to be special to me now because it was my first ever broadway show and it was mind-blowing. Just the set itself is like a character in itself and it is the most visually spellbinding production I have seen. A review will follow but some moments in Act 2 left my jaw on the floor.
- Mean Girls- Probably the favourite show of the trip because I love the story and it is a huge Casey Nicholaw musical which means 25 incredible broadway dancers and a 15 piece orchestra playing a really fun score. There are so many dance numbers and they are choreographed so well. I think its even funnier then the film!
- Waitress- It is another transfer from broadway earlier this year and I instantly fell in love with the gorgeous score by Sara Bareilles and the heartwarming story. I think I have seen it 3 times now and I never get bored of it! The direction is very clever and has some really beautiful moments. Another show you cant go wrong with.
- Six- This musical has blown up this year wow! I saw the original cast in London in February and loved it. Its so witty and funny, the songs are great as well. It is short and sweet so your attention is never away from the show. I recently saw the tour version and loved it just as much. The tour cast is amazing!
There are other shows I loved this year but these are just my top 10s. Do you agree with my thoughts? What are your favourite shows of 2019? If you would want more theatre content then remember to press the follow button on the bottom right hand corner of your screen to get updates for when I post! Feel free to comment below and thank you for reading!